Consultancy Opportunity: WASH Consultant
Oxfam is a leading International NGO with a worldwide reputation for excellence and over 70 years of experience. It’s not unfortunate that people live in poverty. With enough wealth in this world to go around it’s unjustifiable. It’s not just their problem. It’s ours too. Our humanitarian, development and campaigning projects change livesaround the world, and with the right support, we can beat poverty and injustice. Thousands of people already commit their time and talents to our campaigning, humanitarian and long-term development projects. Now we’re looking foryours.
Oxfam in Myanmar is working with local organisations to reduce poverty, inequality and meet the humanitarian needs of 850,000 people across Myanmar, in Kachin, Rakhine, Shan, Ayeyarwaddy, Mon, Kayin, Kayah, and Yangon. Humanitarian response is central to Oxfam in Myanmar’s work: in Kachin and Rakhine States, where hundreds of thousands of people have been displacedby conflict, Oxfam works with local and national Myanmar organisations to meet the humanitarian needs of affected people. Oxfam is providing emergency relief to over 150,000 people affected by conflict or the impact of disasters across Myanmar. Oxfam works with Government and non-governmental organisations to provide humanitarian assistance by building capacity of communities and local organisations to deliver emergency relief, and where there is no other way to meet humanitarian need, by delivering reliefdirectly to affected communities. In Rakhine, Oxfam is delivering safe water, sanitation and livelihoods supports directly to people displaced by conflict and living in camps and host communities.In Kachin Oxfam works with local and national partners, to provide people displaced by conflict and living in humanitarian camps, with access to safe drinking water, sanitation and improved hygiene. We are also working with local organisations to provide food and cash assistanceand to help IDPs develop new skills for starting up small businesses. Oxfam’s humanitarian programmes in Myanmar are at the transition stage of incorporating markets-based approaches to WASH, focusing on the creation of sustainable WASH enterprises, and support to small andmedium size WASH enterprises to deliver safe and high-quality services to vulnerable populations.
According to that, Oxfam has planned to hire a consultant who can support the transition.
Purpose of the consultancy:
- To provide support to the humanitarian team to develop a new strategy for WASH programming in both humanitarian and development settings. This will include recommendations on staffing and structure
- To support the humanitarian design market-based WASH programmes in Kachin and Rakhine, focused on creating and supporting small and medium-sized WASHenterprises to be providers of high-quality, equitablypriced goods and services.
- To develop models for demonstrating how to link WASH enterprises to the wider market system and sustainable business models. It will also investigate possible models for supporting the resilience of informal market actors (critical to both WASH and food security/livelihoods) in chronically vulnerable areas.
- To explorerequired resources and identification ofpotential country-level partnerships.
- To provide support to WASH specific funding bids and opportunities such as the DFID WASH 2020 opportunity.
Scope of service by the Consultancy:
- To consult with key WASH stakeholders in country including Oxfam team and partners to understand current WASH needs in Myanmar and Oxfam’s value add for future programming. This will inform a new WASH strategy for Oxfam in Mayanmar.
- To develop a resource and staffing plan for the implementation of the new WASH strategy
- To conduct assessments and consultation with Oxfamteam, partners and stakeholders to ensure the feasibility of supply and demand for WASH enterprise
- To identify the most appropriate designs/ businessmodels of WASH enterprises applicable in the protracted humanitarian crisis like Kachin and Rakhine
- To develop business models for existing markets based WASH intervention for scale-up, as well as support proposal development as required.
- To identify potential partnerships with institutes/organizations in country to provide ongoing support to Oxfam programmes on markets-based WASH programming in thefollowing topics: market research; WASH enterprise development; capacity building of WASH-related small & medium sized enterprises (SMEs); development of business plans for sustainable WASH enterprises; training for Oxfam WASH staff on enterprise support and development;
- To identify potential partnerships with private sector partners critical to the WASH market chain development in humanitarian responses
- To scope out funding opportunities for WASH programming and support fundraising for the new programme including the potential DFID 2020 bid.
At the end of the consultancy, the consultant will produce the following outputs:
- A comprehensive WASH strategy for Oxfam Myanmar, which incorporates both humanitarian and transitional/development program strands;
- Report with potential partnership models to provide market-related, private sector and governance support to Oxfam WASH programs;
- Report on suggested WASH enterprise models for specified areas in Myanmar; Kachin and Rakhine, as well as the skill sets and formative research necessary to ;
- Identify WASH funding opportunities and support the CMT on the development of funding proposals and concept notes;
Time frame and Conditions:
- The consultant will have to develop planning and time frame for the whole scope of services but should not exceed more than 120 days for the whole contract period –1 January to 30 June 2017.
- He or she will have to travel according to the analysis plan. The cost of travel will be incurred by Oxfam for program related context.
Required skills and experiences of Consultant:
- First degree or postgraduate diploma in Public Health Engineering (Water & sanitation); orsimilar. .Experience can substitute qualifications, but not vice versa
- Minimum of 4 years of practical experience in developing countries in Water, Hygiene and Sanitation programmes (with at least 1 year in humanitarian context).
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and inclusion needs into WASH programming.
- Diplomacy, tact, cultural sensitivity and strong negotiating skills to work with both governmental representatives and local beneficiaries
- Strong communication skills including excellent oral and excellent written English communication skills
How to apply and Submission of Expression of Interest: Oxfam invites Expression of Interest (EOI) from consultants with experience and skills described above. The EOI must include:
- An expression of interest outlining a short plan including estimated number of days and total fee forcompletion of the assignment.
- A copy of the CV
Interested organisation / individual should send their proposal to Oxfam Myanmar not later than 5:00 PM of 9th January 2017 to: Human Resources Department by email firstname.lastname@example.org (OR) No 34, Corner of Aung Taw Mu Lane and Golden Hill Avenue Rd, Golden Valley Ward. Bahan Township. Yangon. Myanmar