Public Health Engineering Officer (Re-Advertisement)
The post is to be based in Sittwe and opened to Myanmar National and advertised nationwide.
- Construction work - developing bills of quantity and technical specifications, liaising with logistics regardingprocurement or contracts, and supervising the work on site
- Water supply - design, construction and repair of water supply systems/ pumps or improvements to an existing system.
- Water quality - contribute to water quality monitoring, and follow-up as needed (eg chlorination)
- Latrines – design, construction and repair of latrines; support ongoing desludging programme, and contribute towards improvements for example the sanitation innovation project
- Environmental sanitation – oversee works to improve drainage and solid waste management, in co-ordination with public health promotion team
- Capacity building – as an Officer you will be expected to support and coach the PHE Assistants & casual labour staff to develop their technical skills
- Assessments – participate in new assessments and surveys as needed
- Emergency response – participate in public health response to emergencies such as disease outbreaks or flooding
- Co-ordinate workplans with the Public Health Promotion team, attending joint meetings and assessments as needed
- Ensure beneficiaries are consulted and involved in programme design; in particular working closely with Camp Management Committees (CMCs) and other community groups
- Co-ordinate activities with other NGOs working in WASH, camp management, education and other sectors
- Liaise with the relevant Government departments (eg DRD, GAD, and Township Administration) as appropriate, especially on larger construction works
- Prepare weekly and monthly workplans in collaboration with other members of the PHE team
- Participate in weekly team meetings to review and plan work, and prepare reports as requested by the PHE Co-ordinator
- Collect and track key data needed for internal and donor accountability and reporting
- Work closely with logistics team in procurement and stock management, in particular ensuring that materials are procured in sufficient time and to the necessary standard/ quality
- Liaise with finance/ HR/ admin officer to ensure that Oxfam procedures are strictly followed
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- A post-secondary training in civil engineering / construction
- Minimum of 2 years of NGO experience (preferably emergency and recovery phases), constructing water and sanitation infrastructure WASH project and including management responsibility
- Experience of participatory approaches and tools, field assessments and monitoring, community development, public health and/or community infrastructure projects.
- Knowledge of WASH in emergency response and experience in applying Sphere standards; understanding of humanitarian principles and ways-of-working
- Attention to detail in design and construction works, to ensure projects are implemented to a high standard
- Diplomacy, initiative, communication and interpersonal skills, together with the capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of priorities.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and an in depth understanding of Myanmar culture and practices. Committed to Equal Opportunities (e.g. race, ethnicity, religion, disability)
- A thorough understanding and commitment towards gender equity issues and accountability in recovery / development work.
- Flexibility when working with project community/partner and have good negotiation skills, diplomacy, and tact to work with all stakeholders.
- Good written and spoken English and Myanmar is essential
Closing date: 10th October 2016, 5:00 PM
Early application is encouraged as this post is urgently required and Oxfam reserves the right to carry out interview process as soon as we identified appointable person.
How to apply: Please state applied position in email subject line and send to Human Resources Department through firstname.lastname@example.org (OR) Oxfam office.